Meredith Hoyt, MS
About the Counselor
My name is Meredith Hoyt and I have been the School Counselor at Tumalo School since 2011. I have lived in Central Oregon for 17 years. I live in Sisters with my husband and two children. My kiddos also attend Tumalo School. In my free time I enjoy cooking, hiking and travelling.
This is my 8th year at Tumalo School, and my 11th year working as a School Counselor for RSD. While I usually think it’s easier to describe my job as “What don’t I do?” I’d like to tell you a few things that I do at the school. My primary responsibility is to promote the academic, personal, and social development of all students. I teach a school wide guidance curriculum that includes: problem solving, bully prevention, character development, friendship and relationship skills, and personal safety. You may see me around the school facilitating small groups such as: morning check-in, large motor sensory exercise, or (my favorite) lunch groups. I also work with students individually when the need arises. I meet with students for a variety of reasons; I may meet with students because there is change going on at home, they are struggling with relationships or behavior in the classroom, or sometimes need a break or a reward!
I’d like you to know that I am always available to meet with parents if you have concerns for your child’s behavioral, emotional, or academic well being as well.
Please feel free to stop by and say hello anytime! You can also contact me by phone or email. Email the Counselor
A comprehensive school counseling program:
- serves all students
- includes large and small group counseling
- incorporates short-term individual counseling
- works with all stakeholders: parents, teachers, and community
A school counselor is an educator who…
- Advocates for the student at school.
- Works with teachers and parents to provide helpful suggestions and support for children’s needs.
- Provides Classroom Lessons for every class.
- Helps in identifying academic and social/emotional needs of children.
- Helps children understand themselves and others.
- Provides information about community resources that would benefit children.
- Makes referrals to outsides agencies.
- Provides parents with resources and information.
Private Counseling Resources
If you need individual counseling for your family please click on the following link.